Thursday, January 15, 2009

Green Leaf, Acrylic on Canvas,




















This image is one from my earth objects series. This leaf was collected during a hike on the trail near my home in northern Virginia. Earth objects are images of objects that are scanned into my computer and manipulated in photoshop to extract the "skeleton" of the image. I then carve the image directly into wet gesso on canvas with the butt of a paintbrush. This is a "carving into process", that I have been developing for many years. The carving leaves a nice texture on the surface giving the image a sculptural look.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joan Marie, This is wonderful. I love learning about the process you have developed for these sculpted paintings. It brings an extra texture and life to your ovjects from nature.

    ReplyDelete